- Switzerland’s Simon Ammann won the first gold medal of the 2010 Winter Olympics. He won the gold in the ski jumping competition.
- The Vancouver Olympic Games will require 25,000 volunteers.
- 1.6 million tickets for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
- Chamonix, France, hosted the first Winter Olympic Games in 1924.
- The Soviet Union first entered the Winter Olympics in 1956.
- Lake Placid, N.Y. has hosted the Winter Olympics twice, 1932 and 1980.
- Curling was one of the official competitions in the first Winter Olympics in 1924. However, the sport was demoted to a demonstration sport at the 1932 Lake Placid Olympics. Curling returned as an official Olympic sport at the 1998 Nagano games.
- A curling stone weighs 42 pounds.