With one week left in the July Quiz Cash contest, Squelch has closed the gap on defending champions the Dirty Dixies. The champs have a history of performing poorly in the final weeks of the contest. Squelch members say they are bringing their “A” game Wednesday night, so any slip by the Dixies could change the standings.
Both the Palmetto Bugs and Zoniks! aren’t far behind so they could be factors in determining a new quiz champion.
Trivial tidbits from the night included:
- Wild Bill Hickok was killed during a game of poker. He was holding two pairs at the time of his death — the Ace of Spades and the Ace of Clubs; and the 8 of Spades and the 8 of Clubs. That hand has been dubbed the “Dead Man’s Hand.”
- A popular urban myth states that throughout the U.S. Interstate Highway System, 1 out of every 5 miles is straight so airplanes can land in case of an emergency. This is untrue. See this article by Richard F. Weingroff, as well as this statement by the Federal Highway Administration.
- General Motors introduced the airbag in 1973 in the company’s Oldsmobile line of cars.
- Dirty Dixies – 372 points
- Squelch – 355
- Zoinks! – 347
- Palmetto Bugs – 341
- Guys & Dolls – 267
- I Am John Gault – 229
- Suck It Trebek – 121
- Golden Girls Tribute Band – 115
- We’re Kinda New Forgive Us – 71
- Fubars – 59
- Ball & Dolls – 57
- Happy Freakin’ Birthday Mo – 57
- Dr. Fünke’s 100 % All Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution – 36
- Beer Bong – 31
- Blacksheep – 12
- Demings – 11